Money Matters: January 19, 2019
- Should my husband and I buy air time? 4:07
- Why don’t financial advisors work hourly? 10:50
- Should I diversify and pay capital gains taxes? 17:02
- Client story about a nasty tax surprise. 26:48
- My advisor wants to sell me a $500,000 annuity. 31:55
- Should I take a lump sum or monthly payments on a pension? 44:42
On this week’s Money Matters, Scott and Pat talk about a client who almost paid $25,000 in additional taxes after taking costly advice from a big-box financial firm.
Scott and Pat speak with a caller who is considering spending $35,000 on air-time for a pension. A Bay Area man asks why financial advisors do not work by the hour. A caller in Northern California has $300,000 in stock and is worried about capital gains taxes. A college professor in Texas wants advice before buying a $500,000 annuity. A 50-year-old man in Sacramento is deciding between a lump sum or monthly payouts on his pension.