July 31, 2021 Money Matters Podcast
- Borrowing against your assets. 1:49
- Will a Delaware Statutory Trust help me save on taxes? 8:01
- The cost of capital gains. 17:51
- Should I sell my rental? 19:54
- Is a 529 plan a good way to save for education expenses? 28:54
- Can I retire at age 55? 37:57
- Should I cash out unused vacation time? 45:19
Buy, borrow, die
On this week’s Money Matters, Scott and Pat discuss how company founders borrow against their stock to live tax-free, why some ordinary investors attempt something similar, and the reason these strategies often go awry.
Scott and Pat advise a caller selling a property worth $550,000 and looking to save on taxes. A caller asks if she should sell a rental worth $400,000 because the real estate market is hot. A grandmother asks if a 529 Plan is the best way to save for her grandchildren’s education. Scott and Pat speak with a 49-year-old man if he wants to retire at age 55. Finally, a caller nearing retirement asks if cashing in his paid time off will trigger significant tax consequences.
Download and rate our podcast here.